2011-04-30

我們要去的地方不需要道路

"Where we're going, we don't need roads."「我們要去的地方不需要道路!」- 這是 1985 年發行的電影【回到未來】(Back to the Future) 裡面最後一幕,布朗博士 (Dr. Brown) 對主人翁馬帝 (Marty McFly) 所說,摘錄如以下:

Marty McFly:Doc, we'd better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88.
博士,我們最好回頭,沒有路長到讓我們加速到 88。

Dr. Brown:Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
路?我們要去的地方不需要道路!

"Where we're going, we don't need roads"


時任美國總統的雷根 Ronald Reagan (1911-2004) 在 1986 年發表國情咨文時,引用了【回到未來】裡面這個名句,他當時所說如下:

原文:"...Never has there been a more exciting time to be alive, a time of rousing wonder and heroic achievement. As they said in the film Back to the Future, 'Where we're going, we don't need roads.'"
中譯:「...從未有一個時刻如此令人激動,一個奇蹟與偉大成就的時刻。如同他們在電影【回到未來】中所說:『我們要去的地方不需要道路』」。

Ronald Reagan in 1986 State of the Union Address


據說雷根是【回到未來】的影迷,我想這也是因為【回到未來】幽了雷根一默吧,大家應該都記得,在【回到未來】裡面,Marty 回到 1955 年之後,要向 1955 年的 Dr. Brown 求助之時,任憑 Marty 說破嘴,Dr. Brown 仍舊懷疑 Marty 的說詞,而有了以下對話:

Dr. Brown:Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the United States in 1985?
你倒是告訴我,「未來小子」,1985 年時的美國總統是誰?

Marty McFly:Ronald Reagan.
隆納雷根。

Dr. Brown:Ronald Reagan? The actor?
隆納雷根?那個演員?
(雷根是演員出身)

Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis?
那誰當副總統?傑利路易?
(傑利路易是 1950 年代的諧星)

I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!
那珍惠曼豈不成了第一夫人!
(如果雷根與珍惠曼沒離婚的話,那珍惠曼的確會是第一夫人)

Marty McFly:Whoa! Wait! Doc!
等等啊博士!

Dr. Brown:And Jack Benny is Secretary of the Treasury.
我猜 Jack Benny 是財政部長!
(Jack Benny 就不知是誰了)

Marty McFly:Doc, you gotta listen to me.
博士你得聽我說...

Dr. Brown:I've had enough practical jokes for one evening. Good night, Future Boy!
今晚我已經聽夠了笑死人不償命的笑話,再見,未來小子!


Ronald Reagan? The actor?